The Bradford Tradesmen’s Homes is an Almshouse complex with houses for rent for the elderly aged 60+ and is situated within enclosed private grounds at Lily Croft Bradford. The 43 houses are terraced houses built in a square, each with two bedrooms, bathroom, living room, kitchen/dining room, and gas central heating. There are also three one bedroom bungalows. Residency also includes certain other benefits in addition to housing.
Almshouses are unfurnished dwellings, especially designed with the needs of older people in mind. The aim is to provide the residents with accommodation that is convenient, affordable and comfortable, in a setting which allows them to retain their independence and a sense of community.
Almshouses also provide a certain amount of security including 6ft boundary railings and 16 CCTV camera's in continous operation. Residents are encouraged to make friends and to share a wider social life through the use of the communal focal point within the complex, in our case the Chapel/Community Hall, and the various events and activities when they occur.
The Chapel is in the centre of the northern block. It has been enriched by beautiful stained glass windows to the memory of previous benefactors.
The tower clock was installed in 1897. Subsequently the clock was converted to electrical movement.
The charity known as the Bradford Tradesmen's Homes was inaugurated in the year 1865. The object of its Founders was to erect and maintain at least 30 dwelling houses for elderly tradesmen and others, who had at one time occupied a good position in society but through financial reverses in life were no longer able to support themselves by their own resources.
An excellent site was purchased at Lily Croft, Manningham and in September, 1867 the foundation stone was laid by Sir Titus Salt, Bart., who gave the munificent sum of 2,000 guineas and this, with other donations, enabled the original design of three blocks to be completed, at the cost of £15,272.
During 1877 and 1878 a fourth block of thirteen houses was erected by Mrs Eliza Wright in memory of her husband, the late Mr Isaac-Wright and their son, the late Mr Henry Wright, at the cost of £5,209. Mr Cockshott Wright also gave £1,000, the interest on which was to be used to keep in repair the thirteen houses built by his mother.
The estate is approached by a tree lined drive leading from Heaton Road, the 43 houses enclose a quadrangle, containing lawns and flower beds divided by carriage drives, with small gardens to the front and rear of each house.
2-bedroom terraced Almshouses within secluded private grounds. Centrel heating, front and back garden, smoking permitted along with on site parking.
Weekly Rent is £89.00. Full details and eligibility criteria are available from the Trust Administrator:-
DD Broughton (01274 543022) (email@example.com)